Preparation for Storage
Have your repair shop that works according to BMW guidelines with appropriately trained personnel perform the following procedures:
- Clean and apply a rustproofing agent or other treatment to engine compartment undercarriage. Wash the outside and clean the interior, than wax the finish and apply chrome protectant, apply rubber seal on hoods and doors seals.
- Change engine oil and filter (just before storage)
- Check coolant level and concentration
- Check windshield washer level and its antifreeze concentration.
- Fill the fuel tank completely to prevent the formation of condensation.
- Increase the tire pressure to 51psi/35bar but do not exceed the maximum inflation value.
- Apply parking and service brakes to dry them thoroughly to prevent corrosion forming on rotors and drums.
- Park vehicle covered in a dry frost free well-ventilated space in 1-st gear securing it with chocks. Do not engage the parking brake!
- Have the battery removed, charge it completely and store in a cold but frost-free room.
- Recharge the battery every three months as otherwise will not be serviceable. Every time the battery is drained over extended periods of time its service life is reduced or even ended.
Removing the vehicle from storage
During the power interruption the use of some equipment looses its initialization. In the same way individual settings are lost and must be updated again. Refer to owners manual:
- Seat, mirror and steering wheel memory
- Time and date
- Glass roof electric require initialization(owners manual)
- Active steering must be initialized.(owners manual)
- 3-series convertible anti-traping mechanism for power windows must be initialized.(owner manual)
- Have Inspection I and brake fluid change performed by your repair shop that works according to BMW guidelines with appropriately trained personnel.
- CBS-vehicles (i-drive and Control display) does not register any time that elapses while the battery is disconnected. Your your repair shop that works according to BMW guidelines with appropriately trained personnel should perform the scheduled maintenance such as checking the level of fluids change engine oil if necessary and check all filters and CBS required replacement intervals *calculate adding the storage period! Make sure the date is set up correctly via the Control Display.